Free Vitamin D
in case you wanna contribute with albanian translation, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vitamin D is the only vitamin not mentioned much in the world of nutrition, and its because vitamin D is completely free and cannot be commercialized: our body produces it when the sunlight touches the skin
- Our skin produces vitamin D when we are exposed to sunlight - UV radiation from natural sources
- The healing rays of the sun, from which the skin produces vitamin D, cannot pass through glass. Therefore, when you are at home, office or car, your skin does not produce vitamin D
- It's almost impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from diet. Exposure to sunlight is the only certain way to get sufficient amounts of this vitamin
- The farther you live from the equator, the longer you need to be exposed to the sun to get enough vitamin D
- People with dark skin need 20 to 30 times more sun to get the same amount of vitamin D than people with white skin. That's why prostate cancer is so common among black men - it's due to a lack of vitamin D
- Sufficient quantities of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in the body. Without vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency can not be solved overnight. It takes months and months of sun exposure or intake of vitamin D in the form of supplements to restore this vitamin in the bones and the nervous system
- Even weak sunscreens (SPF 8) block the production of vitamin D by 95%! These sunscreens cause disease by creating a deficiency of vitamin D in the body
- It is not possible to "overdose" on vitamin D. The body regulates the process of creating this vitamin from sunlight and produces only as much vitamin as we need for normal functioning
- Before the body can use vitamin D, our liver and kidneys need to activat it
- In people who suffer from kidney or liver disease, the ability of activation and utilization of vitamin D may be reduced
- Sunscreen industry does not want you to know about the importance of vitamin D. This would reduce their profits
- This important vitamin is completely free, because the body produces it from sunlight
It is interesting to know that antioxidants increase the ability of the body to absorb more vitamin D, because they allow us to stay longer in the sun without having our skin burnt.
For instance, astaxanthin increases this capacity by 200%. Other antioxidants you can use are acai berries, pomegranate, blueberries, etc.
Diseases associated with vitamin D deficiency
Osteoporosis is usually associated with a lack of vitamin D, because a lack of vitamin D reduces the absorption of calcium.
Vitamin D prevents depression, schizophrenia, cancer of the prostate, bowel, breast and ovary.
Rickets is a bone disease caused by lack of vitamin D.
Lack of vitamin D can reduce the production of insulin and exacerbate diabetes.
Obesity reduces the utilization of vitamin D. Therefore, obese people need to double the intake of vitamin D.
Vitamin D is widely used for the treatment of psoriasis.
Vitamin D deficiency can cause schizophrenia.
Chronic vitamin D deficiency is sometimes misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because of similar symptoms: weakness and muscle pain.
The risk of diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced by 50 to 80% by exposure to natural sunlight 2 to 3 times a week.
Children who regularly take vitamin D (2000 units per day) will have 80% lower risk of diabetes in the next 20 years.
The shocking statistics
32% of health care workers have a vitamin D deficiency
40% of US citizens have a deficiency of this vitamin
48% of girls aged 9 to 11 have a vitamin D deficiency
76% of pregnant women suffer from a severe lack of vitamin D. That increases the risk of their children developing diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis and schizophrenia later in life.
What can you do?
Bask in the sun! Sensible exposure to sunlight is a simple and free way to get enough vitamin D and improve your health (this does not mean that you need to bask in the heat between noon and 3 PM when the sun is the strongest).
Exposure to sunlight can drastically reduce the rate of chronic diseases in the world. Sun exposure is indeed one of the most powerful therapies and its effect exceeds the effects of modern medicine.
There is no cure, technology or surgery, which has as much power to heal as natural sunlight.
For more information about vitamin D, see the book by Michael Holick, "The UV advantage".